Submitted: 05-06-2009 by LK

I have had this boat for almost a year now. I decided on it because I wanted the in-hull storage, and the open deck storage. It is my first yak.

I am a pretty heavy person, when I purchased the yak I was about 250, now down to about 200. I use the yak mostly for just recreational paddling, and have to say that it carries me, a stocked cooler, anchor, snorkel gear, dive flag, and sometimes a cart beautifully. My friends with sit-ins actually get a little jealous of everything I can carry, since they have everything crammed in their seating area. We have at times done up to 14 miles in a day, and it is nice to be able to have your stuff.

I did get a different paddle as well. However, when I was pricing kayaks, many made you buy the paddle and seat as extras.

The people I go out with are mostly in 9 - 10 ft. sit in boats. We have gone in the Gulf, Tampa Bay, and some of the spring fed rivers around our area. I have not had any problems, and keep up with them fine. They are all smaller than me and in better shape, too!

For the tracking: First practice and be aware of yourself. I am right handed, and tend to pull harder on the stroke on that side, which can throw me off. Second, use the foot pedals for leverage and weight distribution. Not only does it help the tracking, but is great for your obliques.

I am considering plugs for the back hatch, simply to try to keep some of my stuff drier. I don't mind getting wet in the seating area. I figure if I am out to play on the water, that's just part of it. And yes, we have gone out in Nov - Jan when it's in the 50s - 60s.

Northwater Paddle Sports: