Submitted: 04-16-2009 by MJFlores

I just purchased my new Guide 147 a few weeks ago, but so far I'm very impressed! I've read reviews where people have found it "tippy", but I don't find that to be the case at all. I grew up with canoes, and have never been without one so maybe experience is what they were lacking? I traded my Old Town Discover 133K in toward the Guide to get a more streamline canoe with more comfortable seats. The seats it comes with are amazingly comfortable! Initial stability is fine, secondary stability is very nice. This summer when it gets warmer I intend to take it out and try to tip it over. So far, I think you'd really need to try hard at it to dump it. With normal use and reasonable respect for a canoe, I doubt you'll ever get a soaking. Even without a keel, it glides true and tracks nicely. I find it takes very little effort to keep it going at a good clip, yet it's easy to correct and responsive when you need to steer it.

The only two issues I have with it, and these are minor, are:

• Weight, it's a little heavy.
    Not bad, but it's no light weight. Most people load it from the yard to the car or truck so this isn't really a big issue. I've owned heavier canoes, so I don't mind it as I think it adds to the stability on the water but if you're looking for an ultralight canoe, you may want to look at something in Royalex or Kevlar.
  • Seats:
    Although very comfortable, this is a hard boat to solo. I lay flotation cushions in the middle and kneel to paddle by myself. The seat design, with the seat's back rests and over all "form fitted" aspect, you cant use the traditional method of using the front seat and paddling it backwards for solo use. If you think you might like to use it by yourself, you may not be able to unless you try the leaning method that I use. I'm currently looking for a way of mounting a middle seat that would allow me to keep the portage yoke intact.
So, in conclusion... I recommend this canoe to anyone looking for a great canoe that should last a lifetime plus with minor care. It's a good boat, that is very secure and comfortable for two person use. I certainly don't regret buying mine, and look forward to future fishing and camping trips out of it!