Submitted: 04-07-2009 by Caz

I owned a CD Breeze for 5 years before it was stolen off my car carrier. I had often thought about upgrading from this, my starter kayak, but never found any others that truly made me want to give the Breeze up. I bought her in MO and used her in lakes, reservoirs and slow moving creeks in Kansas before moving her up to Alaska where I used this "recreational" kayak as a sea kayak. 85% of my trips in Alaska were over-night or multi-day trips in the Prince William Sound. The remaining time was spent teaching others how to kayak on glacier-fed lakes.

The amount of conditions this boat and I went through were incredibly varied! She handled well for a 'yak with such a wide beam and short keel. I noticed that her tracking improved as you increased the weight, but the trade-off was you plowed more water as your waterline moved up. I most likely over-packed this champ, but she never gave me a moment's worry even in 34F ambient air with 3 ft wind-driven chop!

She was very easy to surf when headed back into shore and handled cross-winds fairly well. I never installed the rudder on mine, and would agree with some of the other reviews that this 'yak will tell you if something is wrong with your stroke by pulling off center if you're not balanced.

The longest stretch I did with this kayak was a three-day trip to Blackstone Glacier, Whittier, AK. There was a mix of boats in our group and I was quite often in the front. She proved a bit harder to keep on pace with a tandem, but was good enough to maintain vocal communication.

Overall, this was a fantastic boat and one of the best purchases I've made. She handled very full seasons of kayaking in some of the best (glass) and worst (6 ft seas) that I ventured out in. I was confident enough in her stability to use her as a training bed for many novice kayakers. Even though I was tempted on occasion to trade her for a fiberglass or kevlar kayak, I always came back to my 'ol faithful!