Submitted: 03-24-2009 by Jai

Not for novices and a bit of a handful in big seas - you need to be a very good paddler to take this out in anything other than calm waters.

It is fun in big seas, but it is terrible in beam winds without a rudder. If you do decide to use a rudder, be warned, I carry a deck mounted tow line and it gets in the way if I need to tow in big seas.

Without a rudder you need aggressive edging or leaning to turn, and with this boat, you need to

1. Fit it like a glove, this invariably means installing hip pads- it's weak in this area
  2. Have solid paddle skills
  3. Feel comfortable rolling
I'd forget the re-enter and roll in this boat in all but calm water- Once up you need to pump out your cockpit, and even 1 handed sculling in this boat in big seas whilst pumping is a bloody nightmare. She does behave better when fully loaded...

I have also installed extra flotation in the bow to stop the nose burying in waves. You may also consider weighting the stern to reduce some weather cocking in beam winds. I've also retro-fitted a quick release cleat behind my seat that I use for towing. As for the day hatch- it's a piece of junk!I've never managed to undo it at sea unless I'm rafted up. I hope Prijon resolve this issue.