Submitted: 03-19-2009 by S.A.K.

I purchased the Venus 11 sit-on-top kayak last November from our local West Marine dealer in St. Louis, MO. The reason for this purchase was to paddle with my newly adopted rescue puppy. Meanwhile she is now 40+ pounds and would no longer fit in the kayak with me. Nevertheless, I started to paddle this little "very pink" boat around my local lake as well as other local rivers, and it turns out that I really enjoy this little boat.

I own and race surfskis and other long and narrow sea kayaks, but this little Venus 11 is by far the most enjoyable. Yesterday I checked the speed with my stop watch for a one mile sprint run and it clocked at 14 minutes with head winds around 20 miles per hour, going back I was able to make it in a 12 minutes run. I used my usual Epic Wing paddle for the test. The maximum speed I get out of my Fenn Mako surfski is usual 8 minutes per mile sprint.

Anyway, congratulation to the designers of the Venus 11 model kayak, although the boat is very wide, heavy and short, it does defines logic for its great performance. My weight is 100 pound and I am 5'2" tall, I paddled all kinds of different boats over many years, but prefer the feel of sitting on top of a kayak instead of inside.