Submitted: 11-24-2008 by DA

I got my first boat in the summer of 08. It was a used Prijon Barracuda. Looking back on it, it was extremely fast, but whoa did it ever require constant concentration, especially for a relatively newbie like myself. That thing would toss me if I tried to turn by back to look behind me. Wake from passing boats raised my pulse to cardio levels. I did some research and decided that I definitely needed a different boat. I like to explore the coast of the various inlets around where I live near Vancouver, BC. I'm not that concerned with speed.

I decided on a Necky Chatham 16 poly. I got a good deal on a new one and never looked back. I now look forward to large boat wakes, tidal currents, you name it. I would have to consciously try to flip this boat over to ever have it happen. It turns on a dime and responds well to the first paddle stroke. I'm 5'8" and 150lbs and the cockpit fits me like a glove. I especially like the thigh braces. The hatches usually have about 1 cup of water in them after about 4 hours out on moderate seas. It seems to be well made, but admittedly the poly is not as sturdy as on the Prijon.

Overall I couldn't be happier with this boat. It would be great for a beginner or anyone who likes to play in big waves or near the rocks.