Submitted: 10-24-2008 by Linda

I recently bought the Ocean Kayak Venus 11 and wanted to say I love it. I also bought the Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 for my husband, and it turns out he likes the Venus better. So we trade off when we go out. I take my turn with the Prowler 13 when the winds come up as it is a bit easier to paddle the Prowler against the wind or current. I use the Venus (and the Prowler) for San Francisco Bay (the quiet parts of the Bay that is) and for quiet rivers and estuaries.

I am 60 and only 5'4" and not especially strong (yet - more paddling and I will be) and I can load the Venus on the top of my Subaru Forester and take it off without assistance (I load the Venus from the back of the car picking up the front of the kayak first and then sliding it on the roof - I would not be able to load it from the side without another person helping) I would not be able to load the much heavier Prowler 13 alone - even from the back of the car. Don't get me wrong, the Venus is heavy for me to move about, but it is manageable.

Anyway - I give the Venus a big thumbs up - I love being able to load it up and go out without needing help. The Venus is fun and maneuverable. It does not feel as stable as the Prowler 13 (which is like a rock), but I don't find it to be tippy.
ps - the Prowler 13 is also great