Submitted: 10-09-2008 by ynfinity

I am new to the 'yak fishing scene and at the price ($399 Sports Auth.), this thing caught my eye. I can identify with the tracking mentioned several times before, but the paddle works for me at 6'1" and the speed is pretty good. I can keep up with a buddy in an Otter sit-in and coast much easier. The rigging was superb. I actually lost functionality by adding a milk crate. The scuppers could use some work as they allow entirely too much water in, especially when getting to the forward rod holder.

The bow hatch is the bane of the boat, getting to it while on the water for me is an impossibility, however water pipe insulation, when cut and "marine gooped" right works quite well. I haven't had the dry hatch problem but it is good to know as that is where I do keep the cell phone. I have added a fish finder and am working on an ACTUAL cup holder and junk tray. The seat is good even though it is "molded" which means they took an "average" person and made a guide. I have spent hours comfortably in this thing and even with a PFD I can sit all day.

The only real beef I have with the boat is that I have to heft the 62# onto my car at the end of the day, but who likes a whiner. Other than that it has to be the best starter boat to get into our great sport, plus NO GAS!

New York Kayak Co.: