Submitted: 09-24-2008 by radixx

I just took my Guide 147 out on it's maiden voyage today. I loved it! It's very easy to control, and very quick in the water. I didn't notice much at all of the negatives that people have been saying.
Number 1: I found the rear seat to be very comfortable and roomy. I was worried that it might sit up too high, but that was not the case.
Number 2: the floor/bottom didn't move or buckle in the slightest, even when I decided to really push the canoe hard. I did notice that in a wind it was a bit difficult as the bow was high, but that's standard for paddling a tandem canoe solo. It is a bit heavy out of the water and some padding on the yoke/thwart is in order for sure.

I anticipate a lot of good trips in this craft. Granted this review is based on about 3 hours of paddling on reasonably still water on Ebenezer Creek in Georgia. When checking it out on dry land my wife did think she was going to feel cramped in the bow. She's only 5'3" so that is significant. She's also very novice when it comes to paddling and again, this isn't a limitation of the craft, but of the size. I drive an '03 Corolla, so a bigger canoe just isn't a practical option. That being said it's a great fit on a Yakima rack system.

All in all this is a GREAT value in a canoe. I got mine for $469 at Bass Pro shop. I did have to refuse two of the same models for some factory defects so be careful when picking one out. Even though this is a killer deal for a quality canoe it's obvious after my experience that Old Town's quality control might be slipping a bit. The defects were strictly cosmetic though.