Submitted: 09-08-2008 by Jeff

I've been paddling (1st yak) my Synergy for about 7-8 months now. Though its seen mostly flat water trips, I have taken it on a few rivers *class 1...maybe 2*. I'm a flyfisherman - trout mostly, but bass lately. I wanted a boat that I could load in the back of my truck yet be stable enough to stand in (I'm only 160lbs). My Synergy has provided me everything that I needed. It tracks fairly well, although may benefit from a rudder. I can stand and flycast, but it is somewhat wobbly when I do so. I usually will only stand for 15 minutes or so to give my but a rest(seat's uncomfortable - added a yakpad recently though). I love the storage! I don't have to pack light at all. I bring cooler, change of cloths, 4 rods, tons of tackle and still don't ever run out of room. That, plus the lack of sculper hole, is what sold me on this yak. The river floats is where this yak really shines...you can pack for a week long trip, if necessary. It seems to easily float over small class 2 rapids...you barely even feel them.

One of the other benefits is that it has a crazy skinny draft...I'm guessing around 4 inches. This is a huge benefit when floating a river...you never bottom out. Getting in and out of this boat from shore is a breeze. I can simply hit the shore line dead on and stand up and walk out of it - without even getting wet.

You can see a float trip I took at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4x4WTNva_s

Things I added that were much needed: extra padded seat, bow and stern anchors. The 2 main items that this boat could improve upon are :stability (so you can stand easier) & weight (it's a bear picking up). Other than that, I love it and would definitely recommend it for those that want a boat versatile enough to run dry in flat water, but still be able to handle rough water when needed.