Submitted: 08-27-2008 by Zapblam

Purchased the Guide 147 in April 2008 from Canadian Tire for $300 new. Were originally looking at a new Clipper Ranger. We decided on the 147 as we were still unsure if we would like canoeing enough to warrant the expensive Clipper. We also do 100% flat water day tripping and puttering around. 80% of the outings will involve fishing. For those purposes the Guide 147 has exceeded its purpose. Lots of walleye pulled into that boat. Just remember this ain't a bass tournament boat so don't stand up suddenly when catching a big fish. Very stable once the wife and myself actually learned to paddle more properly.

Playing around I had to literally jump off the side gunnel to flip the thing. Handled wakeboard boats easily without any significant wobbles. With two, the wind was not any major factor. And not near as heavy as I expected from the reviews here once I practiced proper ways to lift the boat. Just hurts my wimpy neck a bit so padding is on the way for the yoke.

For myself, the wife and a 2 year old along with basic fishing and safety gear, the boat is perfect. For any tripping it is too small for more than 2 adults. I can definitely see myself taking a child out on the occasional Sunday fish.

Cons: I need to modify the seats a bit. Not near enough leg room for the wife up front. Trooper as she is isn't complaining, but I see her cramped up there. Need to move front seat back a few inches.
I need to find a way to stop sliding off the rear seat when really paddling. Possibly shim it to lean back a bit, something more grippy maybe. I also would like to add some kind of DIY footbrace/kneeling. Solo works fine but had to remove the back rest from the front seat and sit backwards with lots of ballast in the wind. A kneeling system near the middle would be the cats meow.

With child #2 on the way, in a few years we will definitely be looking at the Clipper Ranger again for the larger size.

In all the perfect boat for our purpose of floating around and fishing on flat water. What an excellent way to get into canoeing.

Ocean Rodeo Sports: