Submitted: 08-22-2008 by Wildbuc

I was looking for a relatively light solo canoe short enough to be carried in my pickup and able to be paddled with a double paddle. The 119 fills the bill. Immediately after buying it and before putting it into water, I lowered the seat, 4 inches in the back and 3 inches in the front. That provides a degree of rake that prevents you from sliding forward. I found no need to move the seat forward, although 1-3 inches might not hurt.

On the water, the 119 felt very stable and seaworthy. I paddled it in heavy winds the first day without difficulty. In a calm cove, the boat was a joy to fish from, with plenty of space for tackle.

The main problem with the canoe is the seat, which I would give a rank of 0, or minus 0 if possible. It is the worst designed seat I have ever encountered in 30 years of boating--a complete disaster. Here's what is wrong with the seat:
1. Positioned too high making for instability.
2. Bottom of seat is completely horizontal with no rake.
3. Seat bottom is about 4 inches too short, providing no leg support.
4. The back of the seat is rounded, giving support only where the back touches the backrest--with no low or high support.
5. The backrest does not begin until the first few inches from the bottom.
6. The backrest will not fold neatly down on the lower seat.
7. The backrest will not recline more than about 90 degrees.
8. Seat is too heavy.
With seat modifications, however, and using a double paddle, I was very pleased. It is the boat I have been looking for.

Although the seat is a monster, it can be improved 90% and made useable by lowering it as described and increasing the rake. I will probably remove it at some point and build my own seat.

Katadyn: