Submitted: 08-13-2008 by nd

I've had the Castaway four years now and am just now having to replace some of the straps on the front hatch and seat back. At the price it is worth what you get, but in the long run wished I would have made a smarter purchase of a kayak with thicker hull material.

Getting wet is just part of the sport, I usually get out and wade fish a few times on each trip, so I am always soaked. Took it out in 3-4 foot surf and nearly sank it within 50 feet of shoreline, stays nice and dry in the bay, but the surf over the bow are just too much for it being the front hatch is not that well waterproofed.

The paddle that comes with it is worth about what you pay for it, nothing!! I don't like the fact that the seat is riveted into the kayak and not removable. My friend who just bought his was paddling with the aft completely submerged due to water seepage from the seat rivets. Must have had about 5 gallons of water in it when we drained it, and he is well within the load limit.

It is very stable and paddles fairly easy, tracking is so-so and speed is average. Not really a rudder option unless you rig it yourself. Would have rather had the option of riggin it out myself but it does come rigged out fairly well. I am 6'5" and 210 and fit comfortably in it with no problems, not much for the foot pegs cause they take away about 3 inches of legroom for me.

After kayaking for a few years you realize your habits and what you need and don't need, so the next purchase is easier to know exactly what you want. I am fairly pleased with the Castaway. Overall it's one of those things, you get what you pay for, not a bad buy but not a great one either.

American Traders: