Submitted: 07-24-2008 by Phrancis

I've had 5 poly kayaks over the years and I have to say that Necky really did their research on this one. Today I just sold a longer, sleeker, more attractive yak, with dual bulkheads, and rudder and decided to keep just one boat - my Manitou 13.

I loved that Perception Catalina/Carolina, but have come to the realization that at my weight (185 lbs) the boat is more unstable, uncomfortable, and "plows" through the water. By contrast, the shorter, wider Manitou 13 actually paddles faster, is more stable in rough conditions, is lighter weight (for car topping), and is way more comfortable overall. I have to admit that it isn't as attractive as other day tourers and I hate that neoprene hatch, but it's like an ugly Subaru, with more practicality and performance value. In the future, Id like to upgrade to a composite Manitou 14!