Submitted: 07-16-2008 by GallagherPreach

After searching for a canoe to beginning fishing once again, I settled on the OT Sport Canoe at Samís. After examining it, reading about it and talking to my wife, I planned to buy the canoe the next week, but one came up for sale locally. The price was right ($350) for the canoe, paddles and car kit. It was the same one as at Samís but about $100 cheaper.

The OT Sport canoe, as others have mentioned, is made by Johnson Outdoors and sold under other names such as Field and Stream. The OT Sport canoe is made well for being 14 feet long and 41 inches wide. The weight of the canoe is 84 pounds; one person can handle it as long as you watch your stability.

I have had this canoe out on the local river as much as I can and have found my experience to be a good one. My neighbor noticed how stable the canoe was in the water and how the wake from the passing boats was not as bad as in his canoe. The seats are molded plastic with small accessory indentations for holding small items. The center seat has a dry storage container, a cooler, drink holders and paddle holders. The dry storage is perfect for holding a wallet, fishing license, cell phone, keys and other valuables. The cooler makes a decent cooler, but we have found it best as a small live well for panfish. The cup holders are invaluable since my greatest fishing companions are my children. The paddle holder is nice because of the elastic cord. (I might have to replace my elastic cord in the near future. The canoe is easy to paddle; just remember it is a canoe. If you do not want to paddle, the canoe is rated for a five horsepower engine. My girls and I can paddle the canoe with no problems at all. When I paddle alone, I have no problems paddling and guiding the canoe into various spots along the river.

I rate this canoe high because of its durability. The body of the canoe is a hard plastic, which takes a beating and keeps on ticking. Aluminum canoes take a beating and get a dent, but this canoe deflects trees, branches and other floating objects. Being a hard plastic, the canoe is quiet if you are trying to fish. The bottom does not ting and ding like aluminum canoes.

If you are looking for a canoe to begin your journey, I would recommend the OT Sport Canoe. It is a great deal for the money and for the boat.