Submitted: 07-15-2008 by Brian

After being in the market for a solo canoe that I could use fishing area rivers, I ended up purchasing a twice-used Old Town Discovery 119K. After paddling the almost new canoe on an area river, I was happy with it, but felt I would be more comfortable paddling the canoe kneeling from just in front of the back thwart. I removed the seat and fashioned a middle thwart of light but sturdy oak that I finished to match the existing thwarts. I installed the thwart in the rear seat mountings and finished by gluing knee padding in the bottom between the thwarts "whitewater style." Long story short, I paddle the boat in fairly swift rivers kneeling between the rear and middle thwart and couldnít be happier with the performance of this nimble little boat. Too bad Old Town halted production. But if you find a used Discovery 119k and donít mind a bit of modification, I really recommend you consider same.