Submitted: 06-23-2008 by ward

I've now been paddling for nearly 10 years. I have owned 4 boat (1 kevlar, 1 fiberglass, 2 rotomolded). I can say that the workmanship is wonderful on the Current Designs. The previous reviewer must have had a lemon or something. On to my review.

I'll begin by saying that this review comes after paddling 60 to 70 miles in the boat, a 4 day trip in the Everglades, and some serious weather (4' seas 25 to 30 mph winds - hard rain). I'm 5'8" and 150 lbs. The boat fits like a glove. I wouldn't suggest anyone over about 165 in weight and 5'10" tops in height - any taller and it would be tough to get your knees in under the deck. Initial and secondary stability are both good and predictable. The boat is actually very forgiving. Seems to handles better with a load as with many touring boats. This is probably the fastest rotomolded I've paddled. GPS says tops out at about 6mph on a hard push, 4 to 4.5mph with a good steady cadence, 3 to 3.5 with a good easy cadence. My buddy has a CD kevlar Caribou and our speeds were almost identical.

I believe you could pack the boat easy for a week of camping - 10 to 12 days on a stretch (dehydrated food and obviously sharing camping gear with a buddy). Some have complained about the high deck, I don't find it to be a problem, actually provided for a pretty dry ride in the rough stuff. No water in any of the compartments and we were definitely in the right conditions for water to be in everything. Tracking isn't bad (nothing like the caribou) and the weather cocking can be noticed at times but all this is corrected by the rudder.

Some have also complained about the seat. I don't find it to be uncomfortable, put a thin air seat under your bottom and one under your heels and you're good to go. All in all, I don't know if there is a better touring "rotomolded" boat out there for the midsize paddler. I really do like mine. In addition, this is my third Current Designs boat and all of them have been very well made.