Submitted: 05-21-2008 by Lucas

I was looking for a replacement for our Dolphin Squaw that we retired. I read a ton of reviews on various boats and the Mad River Adventure 16 seemed like it would be a nice fit. I noticed some complaints about it being tipsy but figured it was just initial stability and it would be fine. We have paddled for years and we have a very active young son and a very active 85lb dog so our boats require really good stability.

We took the A16 out on its maiden voyage yesterday with just me and my wife...it was miserable. We were on the backwaters of the Wisconsin river...nice and calm with no current. After 5 minutes I told my wife to stop paddling and just sit still because I was constantly fighting to keep this thing upright. There were many times that I stopped paddling and just sat there as still as can be and for no reason at all the boat would come extremely close to tipping us out. Once when my wife bent down gently to adjust her sandal, it was enough to just about put us in the water. I spent the entire time we were out miserably countering the tipping of this boat. When we loaded it back on the car, we drove 2 hours back to where we bought it and we got our money back!

The word stable has no business being with this boat. There is no way I could put my son or my dog in the middle of this boat and feel safe that they would not tip me out.

The seats were extremely comfortable but that was all I liked about it. We went out and bought an Old Town Guide 147 for the rave reviews about its stability. I will report on that one when we get back tonight.