Submitted: 04-28-2008 by jeswald

This boat excels in a lot of areas: I am not a racer, but I paddle with people who are. This is the only boat in my fleet that lets me keep up with my racer friends (it's fast!). I'm not a big rough water kayaker, but the performance of this boat actually gets even better in surf - I can paddle it with confidence in some chop. I have also found it to be an easy boat to roll. At a pool session I rolled a Tempest, a Romany and this boat and found this one to be the easiest of the bunch to roll.

The manufacturer's site says it's not a boat for beginners, and I'd have to agree. The narrow width, hard chine and deep V hull shape result in low initial stability. That having been said, I'm not a big guy (5' 10", 155 lbs, 30" inseam, size 11 feet) and I think this boat would settle down with a somewhat heavier paddler. A (heavier) friend of mine, who ordinarily paddles a very stable Tsunami, had no problems with the stability of this boat. It wouldn't be my first choice as a platform for nature photography, but it's stable enough on center. The hard chines also mean rock solid secondary stability - you can put it on edge then stay there all day.

It is not a boat for the truly tall or stocky. Another big guy from among my friends wanted to try this boat but couldn't get his legs under the thigh braces (admittedly, he was bundled up in a dry suit plus several layers when he tried).

I have found that it takes only gentle edging to turn - no worse than other boats of its length.

The quality of the manufacturing is quite high - I haven't found any blemishes or problems with mine.