Submitted: 04-23-2008 by Morten Jacobsen

The Kodiak is my first sea kayak, and I shopped around a lot to find a boat that would fit my requirements. I needed a tough boat that I could truck around myself, I needed a boat that could be used for day touring and longer trips, and the Kodiak seemed to fit the bill. It did, and I absolutely love it. I use it mainly for day trips in various types of waters, and it handles extremely well in all the conditions where I have tried it. I am still trying to learn to turn the boat by leaning over and I am gaining confidence every time.

The only problem I have found is that the rudder release system, which is made up of a line with two plastic spheres and a hook for attaching the line at the side of the paddler, sometimes falls off when you pull to drop the rudder. I have had the release line drag behind me in the water for the entire duration of the trip, picking up kelp and stuff. This is a minor nuisance and I have learned to be more careful when dropping the rudder.

The speed is good, and I have recently had the opportunity to test it - I fell in with a group of paddlers going full tilt in their sleek touring kayaks and their huge, shovel-like wing paddles. I wasn't quite able to keep up with them, but almost...