Submitted: 04-21-2008 by seaborne

I had to post this review. This is the kind of broken record you want to hear when you are looking to make a significant boat purchase and want to be sure you are going to get great customer service along with a great kayak. Plus, you just gotta share a story like this...

Late last fall I purchased a near new ALL CARBON 700x from an active P-netter through the classifieds. Seems he went surf ski and never looked back. The boat was only 7-8 months old and not a single scratch on the hull. I was ecstatic to get such an excellent boat at a relatively great price. A road trip south, a couple of local paddles and then I was forced to hang it up for a little while to rehab an injury. I recently took the boat out to dust it off in anticipation of my first paddle of the season when I noticed what I thought was a scratch along the seam tape. Imagine my horror when I discovered that this "scratch" was in fact a separation of the deck and hull! I felt weak. This was supposed to be my ultimate kayak. I had such great expectations for the upcoming season. It all came crashing down in an instant. I didn't know what to do.

In the past if I had any problems with my 400x, I would just call Phil and he would work everything out with me. Now even Phil was gone..... I was utterly lost. Of course I was aware of QCC'S policy of complete boat replacement for a deck/hull seam failure (you did know that, didn't you?), but I hadn't purchased this boat from QCC....so after a couple of mind-numbing days I mustered the courage to call with my weak excuse of a second-hand, near new 700 with a seam failure and anticipated a lot of sympathy and little glue. Instead, my call was answered by Steve Freund. I hadn't finished my second sentence before I was interrupted with the magic words, "of course, we'll replace your boat with a new one". I felt like an oppressive weight had been lifted off my shoulders, the clouds parted and the sun began to shine again.

At best I was hoping for a free repair and only pay for round trip shipping. At worst, sorrowful commiseration and a tube of glue. This is like having your cake and eating it too. Being the type to push the envelope a little, I asked Steve, since we were building a new boat, if he would be willing to do a few mods...(I know, talk about looking a gift horse), of which we discussed the varying practicality. So I am getting the raised rudder, but they can't gel the American flag on the deck (too bad), and although I didn't receive a firm commitment, I wouldn't be surprised to find a little extra room in my front compartment....So now I wait anxiously and dream of days to come while resting comfortably in the knowledge that there are still companies that stand behind their products 100% and act as standard bearers for pride in the American made product. God bless America! God Bless QCC!

Portage Pal: