Submitted: 04-10-2008 by bannanappeal

I traded my old Perception Carolina plus $125 for a near perfect slate grey Expedition. The guy I traded with found the Carolina more suited to his needs and vice-versa. I have a small lake behind me and I train on it. Alot. The Perception was ok but when I really got on it I think I was getting past the hull speed of the boat. The bow wake was pretty substantial... noisy too. So I put the Expedition in the water and decided to give it a try. I'd heard that it was a bit tippy, but actually found it to be incredibly stable.... almost TOO stable. Then again, I'd spent the last month climbing back into a 17" wide Valhalla Victory Special surfski that kept throwing me out. I don't dump out of the ski anymore, and that's probably why the Expedition felt so stable. I actually trained in a gym to develop the balance skills needed to stay on the ski. I would sit on two exercise balls... my feet on one and my butt on the other... suspended in air. I did tons of practice paddling with a PVC rod and also did lots of free-weight work...in mid-air, so to speak. I highly recommend it. Anyway, at this point, I don't think I could flip this thing if I tried.

From the first stroke, the Expedition has a very specific personality. It wants to go straight... I don't have the rudder. It feels clumsy.... for about 4 or 5 strokes. It feels unbelievably fast after those 4 or 5 strokes. It's hands down the easiest boat to paddle fast that I've ever been in. It feels really good when your flat out hammering it. If you need to turn a bit, the easiest way is to just take a few extra strokes on one side. It doesn't respond all that well to sweep strokes when going real slow but who cares?

I can't wait to see how badly I whip my "flying mile" time in the Perception. If your going really fast, and you need to do a "U-turn" it feels like your trying to stop a runaway truck. Nice momentum! Just lay the blade on the water back behind your hips and flat LEAN on it. I thought I was gonna break my carbon wing trying to stop this thing. Personally, I don't think it weighs in at the advertised 48lbs, but I'm not planning on lugging it around... I'll be paddling it instead. More than anything, the Expedition is a real hoot.