Submitted: 02-25-2008 by joebhamilton

I originally got the Expedition for kayaking through the surf and in the ocean. It worked ok for this purpose but it was very, very slow turning around in the ocean. I replaced the Cobra plastic foot pedals with the updated aluminum foot pedals that Cobra sent me for free. I also replaced the weak stock plastic rudder system with a Feathercraft rudder system with their tandem (large) aluminum rudder blade, which has more area and is longer than the plastic stock Cobra blade. This works better than the stock rudder system, but the Expedition is still slow turning around in waves.

I now use another sit on top in the ocean and am learning to paddle my Epic V10 sport surf ski, so the Expedition will be used more for fishing. It fits me well, allows one to sit side saddle and cast, and has a lot of (narrow) storage space under the front and rear hatches. However the 20 ft Epic surfski turns much faster than the 18 ft Expedition, so the long rear keel must affect its turning radius despite the large rudder.