Submitted: 12-06-2007 by Yanoer
The paddle that's so nice, I bought it twice!
I liked the used one that I bought so much, that I bought a new one on ebay for about half price a week later (today), and I'm pretty frugal.

Last week I received a well-used 230cm AT Xception SL Tour with the 45 degree feather to use with my solo canoes from a guy who switched to a shorter paddle for his kayaks. The paddle is about two years old and has a few minor chips along the blade edges and the back of both blades are significantly scuffed from using the paddle to brace the boat while entering and exiting. I'm glad that the seller chose to sell the paddle because I really like it so far.

The only problem I've had with it so far is depressing the ferrule release button to separate the paddle. It's a little stiff at times.

I was very leary about liking the bent shaft because I don't like the bent shaft on my 220cm Werner Kalliste, but I actually do like the feel of this AT bent shaft, so far. I've used it with my hands in the center of the bends as well as with my hands on the outer half of the bends and like it both ways, depending on what I'm trying to accomplish.

This paddle is very flexy! The first time I used it, the rebound of the flex at the end of the stroke reminded me of the same type of rebound with my Bending Branches Infusion Plus with fiberglass shaft. It really flexes and seems to be easy on the joints. I'd previously been using an Epic Relaxed Tour full carbon paddle set to 225cm and 60 degree feather for my solo canoes (when I chose to use a double blade instead of a single blade) and was pretty satisfied with it, but kept reading about how great these 230cm AT Xception SL Tour paddles are with the solo canoes, so I took the plunge when the used one became available in the p.net classifieds. After three outings in my Sawyer Starlight solo canoe in the last week, I agree it is a great paddle for high angle solo canoe paddling. It is WET when using a high angle stroke and water does drip on my head, shoulders, legs and feet, but the paddle's stroke feels very good and I'm learning to accept the wetness.

This paddle appears to be as easy on my joints as the Epic Relaxed Tour and drips about the same amount. I don't know if it's because the AT is longer than the Epic by 5cm, or if it's because of the design and build characteristics, but have come to prefer using the 230cm SL Tour over the Relaxed Tour for the Starlight in the three short (about an hour each) outings in the last week. I suspect that I'll also prefer the SL Tour for my Sawyer Loon decked canoe as well.

On my wife's kitchen scale, this AT Xception SL Tour weighed in at 25.5 oz and the Epic Relaxed Tour weighed in at 22 oz. That little bit of additional weight doesn't seem to bother me.

The paddle seems to feel good in my hands, but it's been cold since I received it, so I've been using my Glacier Glove Kenai All-Purpose neoprene gloves on all three outings and haven't used it bare handed yet.

I'm so pleased with this 230cm SL Tour for the solo canoes that I may try to acquire a 215cm or 210cm for use with my kayaks. I still use a ZRE bent shaft canoe paddle most of the time with most of my canoes, but this 230cm SL Tour is now my preferred double blade for when I choose to double blade the Starlight.

I realize that three outings isn't much usage on which to form a review, but I'll update the review if my opinion changes. I did use the paddle in some pretty strong winds and the upper blade does catch quite a bit in the wind because it's feather is only 45 degrees and I'd prefer the adjustable feather version of the paddle so I could set it to 60 degrees or greater, but this paddle was less than half price of a new variable feather paddle, so I'll just have to suffer with it on those windy days or switch to low angle strokes in those situations.

I chose the SL Tour rather than the SL Tour OS (over sized), because I'm not real strong - prefer blades with less loading than the larger blades that most people use. That's also why I chose the Epic Relaxed Tour rather than the Epic Active Tour.