Submitted: 10-12-2007 by Jamey
Today I purchased a 2007 Ocean Kayak Drifter Angler. Today I also Returned a 2007 Drifter Angler. Let me start with the fact that I'm 6'2" tall and 250lbs, I wanted a big boy yak with lots of room. The things that attracted me to a Drifter were; price at $599, width for stability, plenty of room for fishing, and a weight capacity of 450-500. Perfect for me in theory. After launching I soon noticed that this boat was designed poorly, the guys at Ocean Kayak need to add at least two inches of height to this yak. Water poured in the scuppers holes like crude oil on Jed Clamped's Arkansas homestead. Scuppers are for draining water out, not in. The yak claimes to have a wieght capacity of 450-500lbs. As far as I'm concered the wight capacity is more like 200 lbs. There was more water IN the boat than OUT. Scupper plugs only masked the problem that this boat just wasn't right. So I returned it, luckily, and will be buying a different kayak. Please try before you buy! Go to a demo day, and take your time. Buying a kayak should only hurt once, not twice after you figure out you purchased the wrong boat. As far as the Drifter, it is a good fishing yak for someone who; is under 200 lbs, needs the stability, and wants to get in cheap.