Submitted: 10-03-2007 by alstef

A few months ago I purchased a Prijon Kodiak for myself and a Prijon Seayak for my wife. We have been paddling for 3 years and have used Prijon Combi's on rivers and in the ocean. Decided it was time to get real sea kayaks.

I am 6'3", 225lbs, size 14 feet. The Kodiak has more that enough room. I do not have to have the seat all the way back and the foot pegs are still not all the way forward. I test paddled and looked at as many boats as I could and finally settled on the P&H Capella 173 with a skeg. In the end I did not want to spend $6,000 for 2 Capellas and instead took a hard look at the Prijons. I am really glad I did.

I kept hearing about the light weight and speed of fiberglass vs plastic. But the 17' Kodiak weighs only 4 lbs more that the 17" Capella. Also, the Prijon's blow mold process produces a very stiff plastic boat. With the Prijons I don't have to worry about dragging them over rocks on shore. They will stand up to anything. They are beatutiful, very durable, high quality boats at half the price of fiberglass.

I originally was looking for a skeg, but the Prijon balance rudders are much more versatile in all conditions. We have been out in 20 Knot winds with 4' seas and these boats handle beautifully.

Anyone considering a sea kayak should definitely take a look at the Prijons. Depending on size and what you want do with it, either the Touryak, Seayak or Kodiak should be on a short list.