Submitted: 09-12-2007 by dlbayne
After more than a year of research, I purchased my Hemlock Eagle (my first canoe) in May, 2006. My wife and I usually tandem paddle Alamitos Bay in Long Beach, California, and Upper Newport Bay on occasion. Also, using the optional kneeling thwart and kneeling pad I enjoy paddling solo - Canadian Style.

The Eagle performs well both tandem and solo on flat water. I have no problem paddling tandem or solo in the afternoon onshore winds (8 to12 mph); Alamitos Bay is not a large body of water, therefore wind waves are not a factor. The only experience I have with moving water is with the tides. Tacking against strong wind and the tides work well for me in the Eagle.

I appreciate the positioning of the bow and stern seats. In either seat, you are close to the gunwales; I find the Eagle easier to paddle than certain canoes with wider paddling stations.

Most of my friends in Southern California have never experienced the canoe. (Most folks in this area paddle sit-on-top or ocean kayaks.) All have felt at ease and comfortable in the bow seat. Any fear they may have had is quickly dispelled after a few minutes of paddling the Eagle. I highly recommend this canoe for novice and experienced paddlers.

P.S. I found a great video of Canadian Style paddling on youtube.com. If you Google “Canadian Style Paddling” you should be able to find it.

Suspenz: