Submitted: 07-25-2007 by djo
I am a little surprised that my Old Town Discovery 119 is considered tippy. I got this little red canoe about 15 years ago because I wanted a solo canoe to fish out of that was light enough to cartop by myself. At the time this was the only solo canoe available locally.

Having spent thousands of hours fly fishing from the boat, I have never noticed that it is unstable and I have never taken water accidentally as someone that is 63, 230 lbs. and not very coordinated I could do it if anyone could. I did manage to boat a 50+ lb grass carp in it and I would not suggest anyone try that trick again.

Having said that the boat is sufficiently stable for my purposes I would have to agree that it does not track well and paddling in a variable wind takes a lot of attention and a well varied J-stroke. I am not sure that any canoe under 12 long will track much better. Old Town has apparently discontinued this boat but I would still recommend it should a used one float by. It is a great little short distance knock around and fishing platform for one person. - David

NOCQUA Adventure Gear: