Submitted: 07-05-2007 by joeb
My wife & I just bought a Wilderness 145 Pamlico tandem kayak based on reviews we read. After 5 minutes of paddling we knew we had made a mistake. The kayak does not track at all!!! We had to compensate every few paddle strokes & this was in a calm lake.

If you let it glide it would turn in a circle. We have a 16.5 Perception & a 9.5 Mainstream that I use for fishing & neither of those track as badly as the 145 Pamlico. With the Perception we could paddle for several hours at an enjoyable pace & even the Mainstream that plows the water was acceptable but with the Wilderness we were tired & sore after 2 hours because we had to constantly fight the kayak. In open water under power it would veer either left or right & we would have to compensate for this & we could not hold a straight line. We have been kayaking for several years so we are not amateurs.
If you want to leisurely paddle along the shore 2 or 3 times a year it is fine but not for anyone that wants to enjoy kayaking as many times as they can get away. This kayak is WORK!!!

If I could return it to the store I bought it from I would, but after "use" I can not. Since I am stuck with it I am going to make a rudder hopefully to counteract the zigzagging we had to fight. I found the Wilderness rudder on line but it cost $200+. I am a machinist so I believe I can make it for a LOT less. Before you buy this tandem kayak TRY IT OUT!!!