Submitted: 07-03-2007 by Barry Kade

I think perhaps I'm being a bit conservative in giving the Pack a 9. It seems it could be better, but I'm not sure how. The boat is very stable, easily maneuverable in windy conditions, and moves along at a good clip for the energy expended.
This is the first solo I've ever been in. When using a single canoe paddle, it seems I'm spending 1/2 my energy correcting. It may be my (lack of) technique. But, when using a kayak paddle (which I've extended by almost a foot) she moves right along and is easy to maneuver, even in fairly strong winds.
Another plus for me is low maintenance. There are 2 pieces of wood; the cane seat and the gunnel. Everything else is vinyl surfaced. The Pack comes only in Royalex, I believe. Wood is good, but vinyl is final.
I look forward to packing gear for a week camping trip. I weigh 185 and figure I can safely take another 70 lbs of stuff.