Submitted: 06-20-2007 by Chris Goulet

This inflatable does the job without having to work overtime to pay for it. Three PVC bladders are stuffed in coated nylon chambers. This kayak probably won't last 15 years.

I evaluated this kayak for solo camping feasibility. My backpack just fits in the front, and I can squeeze my feet on either side of the pack. Another bag fits behind the seat. The seat has to be moved back, but the straps are too short to double up, so I just tied them with knots to the loops.
Then I evaluated the feasibility of having a second person aboard. I placed a Therm-a-Rest chair in front, and a small passenger can sit in the back with legs crossed, or up on the side tubes.
9 ft. 9 in., 27.7 lbs.

Strengths
The underside is tough enough for some adventure. Handled two-foot lake whitecaps with barely a sprinkle coming in, and no worries about tipping over. Tracking is marginal but it can turn on a dime. It has a self-bailing screw plug in the back.

Weaknesses
One chamber was lumpy, so I had to deflate it and adjust the bladder. Out on the lake, I measured its speed by GPS and concluded that it's a bit of a 'pig', getting 4.5 km/hr on sustainable paddling vs 5.0 with my old Hutchinson Marsouin, that died after a trip on the Amazon River. The underside fabric remains a bit corrugated even after inflation, and contributes some drag. Water seeps into the bladder chambers, and to dry them out I have to open all the zippers, and place a fan in the area for about a week. Could get slimy in there if it's rolled wet inside. I'll have to get a duffel bag for it, wish it came with one. Well the price was right.