Submitted: 05-17-2007 by knickerbocker

I recently purchased a new Kodiak as replacement for my P&H capella RM 166 which I found to be too narrow at 22". I also paddle a 17 year old Prijon Sea Yak (which says alot for prijon durability !!!). I am 6'0" and weigh an athletic/muscular 230 lbs... but I am pushing the weight limit of my Sea Yak for general paddling. (Although I feel the Sea Yak is the best rough water boat on the market).

I immediately felt right at home in the kodiak. Once I adjusted the seat, foot pegs, and thigh braces to my personal preferences... it fit like a glove and for a moment I forget I wasn't in my Sea Yak. For a heavy boat (62lbs) the boat is extremely fast and tracks well. I took it out into some 3-4 swell and white caps on the chesapeake bay and it handled beautifully. I'm still getting used to the extra legnth which is a factor in heavy swells and cross currents. But that is not the boat as much as me needing to remember it is 11 inches longer than my sea Yak.
The inital stability is excellent, secondary stability is very good. The boat rolls easily as well. I have not used the rudder yet, and I doubt the rudder will get much use. I am a semi retire(shoulder injury) white water paddler and rely heavily on corrective stroking and leaning to keep the boat tracking. The kodiak also looks great. I got the mango with black outfitting. The new day hatch is very useful... especially being right in front of the paddler as opposed to behind... which was hard to access in my capella. The only downside about the boat thus far is that it does not surf as well as my Sea Yak... but again it is a much longer and heavier boat.... A great overall kayak for general paddling... particularly for a larger paddler.