Submitted: 05-02-2007 by Georgianna

I've spent the last two days demo-ing the C16. Day one was spent off shore in 9' @ 11 sec. swells. In and around the rock gardens I found it to be very maneuverable, and behaved beautifully when being surged through some tight spots. Out in the open it handled just fine in the big seas. It wasn't particularly windy, so I can't attest to it's handling there.

Day two was spent surfing on a sand bar in our bay that creates a fun set of waves with an outgoing tide. It will put a smile on your face when it catches a wave! For a 16' boat, it holds a good line, and I actually had it straighten out from an initial broach to get a good ride.

This would be a day / play boat for me. Too small and too slow for touring.

About the cockpit: On the positive side, I love the size and shape of it. I'm a woman, and "traditionally built.' The narrowness of the space made for a very comfortable hip to knee angle, and I felt great contact and control.

What I did NOT like was all that crazy junk in the cockpit with me. The only thing I would keep is the grey foam seat ... I actually really like that! ...but I had two entrapment issues in the two days I paddled. First my drysuit butt zipper got stuck in the metal hip / seat frame. Then my PFD pocket zipper got stuck in the adjustment slot for the thigh braces while I was loading it. And then there was the bruising from getting in and out of the boat past the sharp corners of the same said metal part. And then there's the very long sharp bolt protruding down from the afore mentioned part and threatening to impale my drysuit. The hatches did leak extensively.

I still want one. It's a fun boat. When I order, I will request that they omit all of the cockpit outfitting, and just send the grey seat part.

NRS: