Submitted: 04-30-2007 by DS

I thought it about time to write my reveiw of the Manitou 13 since I've owned it now for over a year and have had it out quite a number of times. Last year I purchased 2 of these kayaks after reading many reviews on all kinds of boats. I was most impressed by all the imput about the Manitou 13, so after a lot of thought my wife and I took the big step and made our purchase. I was very nervous, especially for my wife...not knowing how she would do. Well, she absolutely loves her kayak and is totally at rest with it on the water. That impressed me very much. The stability is all that I read it would be, and at the same time the design of the kayak allows it to be exceptionally smooth on the water. I love the speed, and the manueverability that this boat offers. I read in quite a few reviews about the seat adjustments being a problem, and that they got in the way, so I thought that's just something we would have to live with. Well, the truth is that my wife and I have had none of those difficulties at all. In fact the seat adjustment set-up has worked really well for us. I'm right at 5' 11" tall and way approx. 165 lbs. I'm 60 yrs of age, and have some on going back problems, and am very greatful for the weight of the kayak not being over 45 lbs. As you can tell, my wife and I are very happy with our purchase, and are having a great time with our times out on the water, which mostly lakes, slow streams, and tital waters. To be thoroughly honest, and the only reason I can think of to not rate the Manitou 13 with a 10, is that the hatch cover in the rear of the boat is hard to put back on after it is taken off.....we think twice before considering using it, which is unfortunate. Guess I need more practice. Overall it is a great boat!!

Paddling.net T-Shirt Sale: