Submitted: 02-16-2007 by moriverpaddler
QCC 700 amazing kayak...speed plus stability. This is an great boat...build quality is simply first rate...the fiberglass is so dry...it seems like it was vacum bagged. The boat is very, very fast...and looks narrow, like a bullet..but somehow is stable in almost a mysterious way...very good primary and secondary stability. I am a big guy (220 lbs, 6 foot..no flab), and I own lots of other boats and paddle way too much. I got this boat for racing (ultramarathon events) and this boat is perfect. I can actually lay back on the deck and sit up with no brace..the stability is that good...and yet with a beam just a hair over 20 inches...she flys. I would like 2 more inches in length in the cockpit...but at my size...most boats are a little constricting...still can do a knees up/together hip rotation racing stroke and enter from sitting..so its all good. The hatches did leak a minor amount during roll practice (all do)..but I added a bit of weather stripping to the outer edge of the hatches...and in effect created two seals..this did the trick...no water in at all. The boat has huge hatches and is ideal for touring. I had her in big, big waves on lake Mich in 40 degree water...and I never felt too freaked out, even though there was big shore break along the dunes (east side of lake)...the boat is a perfect blend of performance and stability. A first time kayak??..well maybe not...kind of like a road bike versus a mountain bike...more for performance...but if you want a solid boat that will fly...this is it. I can honestly sit at 5-6 mph at a paddle all day pace...fast, fast, fast.