Submitted: 01-15-2007 by InOrlando

After my glowing review above, we had a misfortune that should be noted. When we loaned the kayak to our son and his wife, they paddled out onto a lake and were capsized within minutes by the wake of a waterskiier and fast motorboat. The boat filled with water immediately, and they were unable to either upend the kayak, or re-enter it.

Luckily the motorboat driver allowed them onto his boat, and then towed the swamped, overturned 145T to the dock where we dumped out the water. The lesson moral of this story: The 145T will fill with water and swamp without float bags fore and aft. The factory-installed little styrofoam floats do almost nothing to keep the boat afloat. I'm certain that, within minutes, we would've seen our tandem investment sink to the bottom of the deep Florida lake. Did I mention that there was an "Alligators are Likely" warning sign posted near the dock of this lovely lake? (as there is with most lakes in central Florida).

We still love our boat, don't get me wrong. But we've installed huge floatbags fore and aft, and we intend to practice a tandem wet entry/exit technique as soon as winter's over, and we clean out our swiming pool's leaves.