Submitted: 10-03-2006 by guestgh

I just want to add to an earlier comment on the Equinox in which I mentioned that the seat was causing back problems in several paddlers who otherwise loved this kayak. I think we have solved this problem. Remove the cushioned back rest which is attached by means of a bolt. Now the back of the seat is a smooth plastic surface . To this surface attach an inflatable cushion made by Sealline. The cushion is thin but is itself padded and you just inflate it to the desired thickness. The beauty of this cushion is that it is not stiff and unyielding . Your back sinks into what feels like and is a customized mold that supports your lower back. The Sealline cushion was specifically designed for paddlers with back problems. A velcro pad attaches it to the seat. It sells for aproximately $28 and is widely available I tried other covers which pull over back of the seat but they were all too thick and pushed my body too far forward on the seat.

New York Kayak Co.: