Submitted: 09-01-2006 by ipadil

This my fourth kayak in about 20 years or so. And, it'll probably be my last, since I'm now 75 yrs old. I test paddled the Manitou 14 about a month ago, and it felt just about right for my 225 pounds, so I bought it knowing full well that I could have made a mistake, since I only paddled it for about 5 minutes.

Now days, I only paddle once a year on my two week vacation up at Cape Cod which I've been doing for many years.. So, I was anxious to see wether this Manitou would be a folly or fun. This time it took me about ten minutes of paddling it to realize that I had made a wonderful choice. And, what I noticed was that for some reason, I could tilt the Manitou with my hips with each stroke, which made it a pleasure to paddle. The hip stroke actually made the tracking even that more easy. And, even without the hip action, it tracked just fine.

What I didn't like about the Manitou was the storage compartment covers which were a pain in the rear to secure. And, it seems that a lot of other kayaks have the same ridiculous rubber covers. They're simply too stiff to try and secure on... And, the cockpit back seat could be a bit more comfortable for this heavy guy. As for the skeg.... I don't do any rough water paddling, so I'm glad it's there, come time when I need to use it.