Submitted: 08-25-2006 by Jim

I've owned the Oldtown 147 for a little over a year now and have used it in a number of ways. I will say firstly, the drawback is definitly the weight. At 72 pounds, it's quite a handfull by yourself. Getting it on the car is hard, but not all that bad; it's the getting it out of the water where gravity really exerts itself.

Tacking is slow, but if you plan ahead, especially on rather fast moving rivers, you will minimize any short-comings. Also, as mentioned in earlier postings; in a strong crosswind it can be a bear to keep straight.

Now, having said all that, I've loaded this canoe like a camper, paddled through Class I - III, hit rocks, scraped along the bottom of the river, paddled across large lakes and I am very well pleased with the over-all ability of this canoe.

Do youself a favor and really ask why you're the market for a canoe; it's purpose, and your ability, nature and frequency of use. I feel, if overnighting it on a river, lake, or just enjoying it for a fishing trip; you can't go wrong. Soon enough, you and it will become good friends knowing how to respond to the ever changing water. It's time to begin the relationship.