Submitted: 08-16-2006 by dave

My wife and I have owned a Wilderness Systems RM Tempest for about one year now. It gets used about 4 times a week for about 1 hour workouts. I am 6'3", 195 and find the boat an excellent fit.

Overall I find the boat excellent. With the skeg down either partially or fully the boat tracks great. With the skeg up it likes to weather vane in winds over 15 knots. But again when you need just put down the skeg or a little lean and sweep will work also.

The boat definetely makes you perfect you strokes. If you are not equal with both left and right strokes it will not track well. That is probably because it is made to be a turny boat. No complaints.

I learned to roll in this boat and it seems real easy. I haven't rolled any others so I can't say how easy it is compared to others. But I did learn on this on so...

I noticed in other reviews that people had problems with the hatches leaking. I notice that as long as you hear the little thunk as the hatch goes on it works fine. I also burp the hatch like you do with tupperware containers. I'm not sure if that's what's been doing it but I know that after about 12-15 rolls the foreward and rear hatches are bone dry. The only hatch I've noticed that leaks at all is the day hatch, it usually has about one half cup of water in it after a rolling session. But this could be because my spray skirt leaks like a seive and there is constant water in the cockpit. So maybe some of that water is leaking through the bulkhead. Overall I really love the boat the only reasone I gave it a 9 out of 10 rating is the day hatch leak. Hopefully one day I'll be buying the kevlar version!

Witz Sport Cases: