Submitted: 08-02-2006 by david

I have a ws tarpon 120 and I love it. But I've been looking for a smaller, lighter boat for quick trips and kids. I bought the mini-x after a short demo and I couldn't be happier.

The mini paddles great for a short yak. The nose does want to walk a little but you can compensate by easing up on the stroke a little. It has surprising glide for its size and is super stable- I can stand and flyfish in calm water. The kids absolutely love it; even my 8 year old son can manage this boat. The mini-x makes a little man feel big and a big man feel little!

The mini has a weight capacity of 325 lbs. At 170, I had a nice, dry ride. By adding kids we loaded it to about 250 before water started seeping in the seat scuppers. The boat has tons of leg room and I found the "foot-wedges" to be very comfortable. As expected, at 9'3" long this boat will turn on a dime. It has four well-placed handles and bungee type paddle/rod holders. A nice feature for fly fishers is the large flat area in front of the seat-no place for line to tangle easily.

The mini-x weighs just 38 lbs! Easy to load or portage; manageable for the kids. For the price, features, and performance, this boat will be mighty hard to beat!