Submitted: 07-03-2006 by KiwiBird

I love this boat. Nearly a year ago I bought it 2nd-hand online from the west coast ($650) and had it shipped to NC ($100). Had never paddled one before, but did a lot of research. Woman's intuition. I paddle it on local lakes, rivers and offshore in all conditions around the NC coastline, primarily with a Greenland paddle. Most times it's packed to the gunwals with camping gear, food etc. I'm 5'8 and 125lbs and probably need to add a bit more packing around the thighs to keep me in when fooling around upside down. I recently passed my BCU 3* and of 12 who assessed all others were glass Nigel Dennis' - only three of us passed - yay for the plastic Tempest.

Here are the good (non-technical) points: 1. excellent rolling; 2. GREAT in surf and other dodgy conditions; 3. easy access skeg, though hardly need to use it; 4. Can sit in the seat all day (paddling) and still hold a glass of vino as the sun goes down; 5. even as a wee lass can carry the darn thing and atop my 4Runner; 6. just feels 'right'.

And (non-technically) why it's not a '10': 1. can't pack as much gear as other boats of similar size or 6" longer - but also means I pack lean (and drink less); 2. the rear bigger hatch leaks in surf and when rolling, no matter if it's a new hatch or not and I jump up and down on the darn thing.

More than happy to recommend this boat.