Submitted: 05-16-2006 by bill

For over 10 years, my group which now includes my younger son, has done a week long whitewater trip in Quebec Province. The rivers there are very remote, wild, and free. Never a concern about drinking directly from the river. That also means you're on your own. Nobody around to give you a hand should you need it. We chose 2 16 foot Penobscots because of the durability and the light wieght. They are fast and smooth, and the 56 lbs. is great on portage. The plastic boat also slides over the rocks. Lots of them. Fully loaded, they eat up class II whitewater, and a lot of class III's. But III is right at it's limit. In a long stretch, you tend to slowly fill the boat, and we've overfilled (submerged) it many times. My partner has a Discovery 169 and stays a lot drier. He also is a monster who easily portages the discovery's 95 lbs.