Submitted: 04-11-2006 by frankc

I wanted a Prowler due to the reviews on the web, but when I sat in one, it was not suitable. Weighing 245 lbs at the time, the Drifter was a perfect fit. After losing 25 lbs, it still is. The Prowler is a wet ride for me and carries water in the tankwell even with the main scuppers plugged.

For some reason, people always comment on the wet ride. Plugged scuppers and a sponge for paddle drips keep my yak dry and it has a low profile which is nice in the wind. The front hatch is accessible while on the water, and the stability is very good. You can crawl all over the yak with perfect safety.

Speed wise, it is not that slow. The boat is used for fishing and was a replacement for a SIK which was faster with the paddle. The Drifter is three times the SIK when it comes to fishing. Try a high angle paddle if more speed is desired, but for fishing, a more comfortable low angle paddle suites my style.

People worry about the small tankwell. A soft side ice chest solves that problem readilly. Access to the front hatch enables carrying all the tackle you might consider for a days fishing, raingear, etc.

The boat has met my expectations. It does what it was designed for very well.

Talic: